PAoAaDM projects marked, final grades given

PAoAaDM projects marked, final grades given

Napisane przez: Paweł Ziemiański ()
Liczba odpowiedzi: 0

Dear PAoAaDM Course Participant,

Your final projects and tasks have been read and graded.

To remind you: final projects were on the topic of your choice but needed to pertain to a selected challenge/ problem in decision making or bias and offer a bit of solution in terms of its or attenuation.

The task on algorithm aversion was the last one that belonged to your assessment's participation and contribution category.

I read all your submissions with attention and curiosity. As always, feel free to contact me if you need more detailed information. In general, your projects were insightful and well thought-trough. Topics of your projects included: using questions in surveys, manipulating data visualization, using AI in medicine, gamification, cluttering, marketing and media practices, biases in hiring, and more. These are just examples, and if your project is not listed here, do not worry. I have read them all thoroughly and found a vast majority of them interesting. I was glad to have the opportunity to read them. My suggestion is to talk to other groups and, if possible, share the results of your work.

I was also impressed by your tasks about algorithm aversion. Several people included their own considerations and experience gained as either algorithm users or algorithms creators. One day you may need to face and deal with the aversion. Who knows if the possibility to "tweak" final results will not be the solution?

This leads me to the final part of this message - the information about your final grades. As you should remember from the first presentation, your final mark consists of three elements:

• Half semester test score (30%)
  • Participation and contribution (30%)
  • Final project (40%)

Points for all your submitted tasks (except for the final project, of course) fall into the second category. 

When it comes to your final score, at first, I wanted to set the minimum requirement to 60% of the highest possible result. I decided to tweak this a little bit for two reasons. The first one is that in my opinion, you worked well during the semester. Your submissions were almost always of at least a decent quality, and very often, they were better than that. The second one is related to this semester's organization. I imagine that there were moments when you had to deal with a substantial workload during the semester, and you were up to this challenge.

The final minimum requirement is 50%, and the score intervals change with every ten percentage points. It means that, for example, any final score between 70.0% and 79.9% results in a 4.0 grade. 

Having said that, I would like to assert that I am not keen on heightening further your grades, which, as far as I am concerned, are currently well-deserved and fair.

In the last task section on the e-learning platform, you will find your final assessment. Five numbers stand for your test score (out of 30), participation and contribution score (out of 30), final project score (out of 40), the total score (out of 100), and your final grade, respectively.

Your final grades are already also on moja.pg.

Thank you for your participation and collaboration throughout the semester, and I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,

Pawel Ziemianski