Start-ups

Start-ups

by Kacper Drewko -
Number of replies: 23

As I’m getting closer and closer to graduating from university I’m thinking more and more about starting up my own business. I can’t yet decide if I want to start with a marketing company which focuses on demo cases, demo boards and visualizations – as I’m currently working in this field and have experience and knowledge about it or start in a completely different branch of industry and diversify my income. I guess that as soon as I graduate, this will be my main concern.

Because I have thought already about starting my own business I looked for different ways to receive financial support, practical advice and guidance. Main of them located in Trojmiasto are: Pomorska Specjalna Strefa Ekonomiczna, Gdański Park Naukowo-Technologiczny and Pomorski Park Naukowo-Technologiczny. Despite a lot of trainings and courses regarding starting a business they offer promotion of the business, partners and subcontractors and legal advices. If I decide to start a firm in the industry I’m currently working in I can consult it with my current employer and partner with him.

I agree with the TED speaker that timing is crucial, because finding an opportunity for a new business and seizing it in the right moment results in a success of our idea and of course in benefits like income and/or development. Also finding right courses, financial support and meeting right people greatly depends on timing and our luck.

233 words

In reply to Kacper Drewko

Odp: Start-ups

by Katarzyna Sulich -
As I study, I think more and more often about whether I would ever want to start a business. Previously, I thought that when I graduated, I would definitely start a cosmetic company because I was interested in it and there is a huge interest in this industry on the market. However, now that my studies are about to end, I have doubts. I don't know if I want to run a business. It is a big responsibility and obligation that I am afraid of. In any case, I think my opinion may change over the years.

When I was almost sure that I would open my business, I checked if there were any organizations that would help in this. I found funding to launch a start-up from the employment office. It is certainly a great help, because you can buy specialized equipment without major financial problems. When it comes to documentation issues and providing guidance, accountants or people who have already implemented it help with them. Therefore, it is worth having such connections. In addition, I have heard that Science and Technology Parks also help in this.

I agree with a TED speaker that timing is is a crucial factor for a start-up success because I believe it is good to start a career at the right time when the market needs the business. This is what guarantees customers and high earnings. In addition, I believe that time also affects having the right funds or skillfully obtaining them, and this allows you to equip your business with high-quality equipment.

260 words

In reply to Katarzyna Sulich

by Adrian Kaszuba -
I am getting closer to graduating the university of technology, so it is high time to think seriously about setting up a business. I remember when I was sixteen I started to think of running own business, but it was only random thought, because at the time I was seriously ill and I had to focus on school, so dreams of own company had to wait. Moreover after I graduated high school I had an opportunity to run business, because my grandmother got cancer and she focused on her health and asked me if I want to take care of her business. Of course I agreed with this proposal and I claim that rental properties is hard work, because I still help my grandmother.

I would certainly like to open company in fashion industry. My company won’t design and produce clothes, I am going to change people image and choose them outfits, in which they will look amazing. It is my dream. I am really interested in fashion and newest trend, so I hope that my dream come true.

I know that people who have an idea for start-up and want open company in 3city can turn to for example Gdański Park Naukowo-Technologiczny and Pomorski Park Naukowo-Technologiczny for financial support, practical advice and guidance. I believe that in big cities there are more organizations, which are able to help young entrepreneurs.

I agree with the TED speaker that timing is a crucial factor for a start-up success, but I must add good idea and lucky. I think that these three factors definitely participate in every success.

266 words

by Patryk Pietniun -
Of course there was not only one time when I considered that idea. Not before sooner will I graduate, do I want to start my own company. At this point I am an owner of a foodtruck, but that company this small business/enterprise is more or less the thing/what I want to do now. In the future I would start a company connected with construction and building. To achieve that I have to consider getting MA thesis an MSc in this particular field subject.
I had thought about it (about what??) before I started my own business. I got a lot of financial support from my private contacts. There are also many companies that will help. For example, they can invest their money in your company if they like and support your idea. It is also easy to find some help from the UE and government. You can find many various ways through programms they offer.
I agree with the TED speaker that timing is the most important factor. You should always think about the idea for your business that is new for the market. You should also consider whether your plan is accurate to your costumers' needs and expectations.

(Edytowany przez Dorota Horowska - pierwotnie wysłano niedziela, 8.11.2020, 17:47 )

212 words

In reply to Patryk Pietniun

by Justyna Niezgodzińska -
I have never considered starting/setting up my own start-up. First of all, I have no experience in managing such large projects. Secondly, there is no idea that I can turn into a start-up. But if in the future I came up with an interesting project and planned it well and gained some experience in project management, my attitude would probably change.

I think that when you are looking for financing, you have to take part in various competitions dedicated to a beginner company. Moreover, you need to seek advice from people with experience. It is important to have a network of contacts from various industries.

I completely agree with Bill Gross: the right time to launch a new product or service is the most important. The current situation shows it very well. If someone opened a new business in March, for example, a restaurant, I doubt he managed to avoid bankruptcy. On the other hand, companies that specialize in deliveries or communicators (Skype, Zoom, Teams) are reaching their peak. After the pandemic, it will be possible to assess whether this situation helped them.

(Edytowany przez Dorota Horowska - pierwotnie wysłano poniedziałek, 9.11.2020, 13:40 )

194 words

In reply to Justyna Niezgodzińska

by Mateusz Fojtuch -
When I was twenty years old , I started to think about started start up (too many of these "starts" in one sentence :) considered/I thought about developing/creating an a app for an alcohol sales start up (???) . More people use the internet for to order products without going outside . In my opinion the future of the salary product (???) is in the internet or applications, especially in a pandemic situation. My idea It was a totally basic level, because I had only an idea and I never thought about other factors that are needed to start a business. When I got to know apps that sell food for delivery like uber and glovo, I abounted abandoned the idea of my the start up. But these programs don’t offer products to those over eighteen years old.
When I have my business idea, I was able to can turn to the employment office. Many companies have support programmes to for young entrepreneurs whose study at the university for example Park nNaukowo tTechnologiczny or Pomorska sSpecjalna Strefa Ekonomiczna.
They have ofert for to new start-ups training learn to tech them how to survive on the market. Also, corporations on the local market are helpful to recognise gather information about the local market, gives practical advices. But they want your idea to be exclusive.
Yes I agree with the TED speaker that timing is a crucial factor for a start up success. But also, so in my opinion is a team, because without people you can't to develop any business.

(Edytowany przez Dorota Horowska - pierwotnie wysłano poniedziałek, 9.11.2020, 15:29 )

265 words

In reply to Justyna Niezgodzińska

by Wiktoria Znaczko -
As a student in the field of Engineering Management, of course, I was considering opening my own business. However, being almost a graduate of the Gdańsk University of Technology, I decided that I would postpone these plans and now I prefer to gain experience working for other entrepreneurs. I plan to use the experience and knowledge from people who successfully run their businesses to learn more about operating on the market and competition. With time I may get ready again to decide to open my own business. One of the places where I will be able to turn for help are business incubators or business angels who support start-ups. Other business support can be provided by programs organized by the European Union, which allocate special funds to finance dedicated businesses.
I definitely agree with the TED speaker that timing is a crucial factor for start-up success. The arguments presented by him in the form of real companies using timing as an advantage make it difficult to question the rightness of choosing this factor as the most important.

177 words

by Tomasz Maciejewski -
I started thinking about starting up my own business about 2 years ago. I have many interesting ideas in my head and there’s no time I’m not thinking of them and not trying to improve them. How am I advanced in planning? It’s a tough question, because I think that I will be planning them for a long time and I will implement one at least in 2 years. I don’t want to hurry, not only because of the funding but firstly I want to absorb some useful experience while working in some company.

According to third question, as my college mates wrote, we can turn for financial support to some Science and Technology Parks or institutions like Pomorska Specjalna Strefa Ekonomiczna. We can also hope for a business angel who would finance our great ideas. We can also find practical advices and guidance in these organizations.

I agree with the TED speaker that timing is a crucial factor for a start-up success, because as he said, many of successful start-ups grew to international level because of the timing. I think the team and idea is also very important, but you have to pay attention at whether consumers are ready for what you want to offer them.

207 words

by Daria Thol -
I used to consider starting my own company, but none of my ideas is good and interesting enough. Besides, starting a business is a big risk that I cannot afford. A lot of responsibilities and stress are associated with starting a business. I think my attitude may change when I gain professional experience and save money. I like the vision of independence, working in the hours I set myself and higher earnings.

Young entrepreneurs, for financial support, can apply to technology incubators, find an investor or use to funding to launch a start-up from the employment office. Accountants or people who have already implemented other business ideas can help with new start-ups, provide practical advice and guidances.

I agree with the TED speaker that timing is a crucial factor for a start-up success. Bill Gross showed a lot of good examples and convincing arguments. Your Product should be adapted to the market trends, technology, consumer needs and the season.

(Edytowany przez Dorota Horowska - pierwotnie wysłano poniedziałek, 9.11.2020, 19:01 )

169 words

by Aleksandra Sztrajt -
I haven’t considered starting up a new business. It is because I have no idea what it could be. I’m also scared to make decisions such as opening my own business. Not now. I’m afraid that it won’t work or something will happen. Something similar to the situation caused by Covid-19, as it is now for example. It could destroy my plans and my business. I hope my approach will change someday and I will be ready to start up a new business. But I think I need a few more years of planning and learning to do that. Young entrepreneurs with an idea for a start up can turn to business incubators or business angels who support start-ups. I think that government can help them financially. I agree with the TED speaker that timing is a crucial factor for a start-up success, but in my opinion team is as much important as timing. It’s very important who you work with.

161 words

by Przemysław Podemski -
I've thought about starting my own business several times but I ended up thinking. I think that I need to work on my personality and increase my business knowledge. In the future I;m going up to start my own company but as I said before I have to prepare myself very well for it.

Many companies fail within two years of starting a business, which is why preparation is so important. For this purpose, it is worth reviewing government programs and current financial support for new entrepreneurs. A thorough market analysis is also important. If you have an industry in which some forms work well, it is worth contacting them and talking about the specifics of functioning in this field.

I agree with the TED speaker, that timing is crucial factor in starting new business. He gave a few examples companies which had a great idea or team but timing was no perfect and consequently there was no success. If customers are ready for your product or service, it means that it has a good chance of entering the market.

181 words

In reply to Przemysław Podemski

by Joanna Kujawska -
At that point of my life I’m not considering starting up my own business. I think that nowadays we have a really difficult times and the impact of it on the entire economy will see in for the next couple of years. I am not saying that for sure I am not going to do it in the future but if I would, I want to be as sure as it is possible that it has a fighting chance for success.

There is a lot of place where entrepreneurs can ask for any kind of support they need. The first one which entertain a thought to me is Inkubator AIP because it is around Gdańsk University of Technology and I have heard about them a lot. It is focus mostly on students, so I think that this is a good option.

I definitely agree with Bill Gross about crucial mining of timing in setting start-ups. So many of good ideas are failed because they just starts in the wrong moments. I think that because of this factor the market research are so important. They should be done in the most accurate way as it possible. Certainly there is a plenty of others dimension which impact on the start-ups success but I really think that timing is the most important.

219 words

In reply to Joanna Kujawska

by Marta Sobczak -
Several times I have already considered considering starting up my own business, but it always was only an idea. I have never thinking thought about it seriously. I think I am not a good person to run my own business. I don’t have a suitable character to do it. I think my present attitude may change in the future, when I will learn more about it and the world situation on world will be better for making business.
People who have an idea for a start-up have a few places where when they can go for support. First of all, there is Inkubator. In Gdańsk there are two: Inkubator AIP, next to Gdańsk University of Technology, and Inkubator Statter. Also is many union EU programs and in other country countries famous enterprises make set up/run programs, where you can show your idea and they decide about giving you a the money on to develop it and enter in a cooperation.
I agree with the TED speaker. Timing is a crucial factor for a start-up success. Other things like an idea or a team is are also important, but sometimes you can have a great idea, wonderful team, good Business Model and Funding, but you go to on the market in at the wrong time your start-up fails.  fall down.

(Edytowany przez Dorota Horowska - pierwotnie wysłano wtorek, 10.11.2020, 01:29 )

(Edytowany przez Dorota Horowska - pierwotnie wysłano wtorek, 10.11.2020, 01:29 )

240 words

In reply to Marta Sobczak

by Krystian Dunst -
In fact, I have never even thought about starting my own business. It seems to me that starting a company somehow ties us to the place where we started it. And for me it has always been important to be free and able to change the place where I live and work whenever I want. When we have our own company, we are actually at work all the time. This is also a big responsibility for the people we employ in the company. It seems to me that my attitude will not change because I value my freedom very much and having a company limits it dramatically. But we never really know what the future will bring.
I strongly agree with him that time is a key factor in the success of a new business. The arguments he presented are very convincing. Especially that he showed them on really existing companies. Whether we are in the right place at the right time or not may determine whether the company we set up will be successful.

(Edytowany przez Dorota Horowska - pierwotnie wysłano wtorek, 10.11.2020, 08:59 )

185 words

by Martika Kisiel -
Taking into account the fact I am going to finish my studies, I have started to consider what about the future. One of the ideas was to start my own business. I have a few ideas, but I am sure starting-up a new venture is sophisticated and demanding lots of experience. Besides that, my parents are business people so I know all advantages and disadvantages of working on your own. The weakest point is you are often 24h at work - I mean - your mind is all the time engaged in improving your business and answering the actual needs of the target market. I am not convinced it is the best concept for me now. Actually, I should focus on gaining experience. I suppose I will start-up an idea in the future, but the 5 factors mentioned by the TED speaker should be fulfilled at first. The time ought to be appreciable both to the market and an entrepreneur. I would opt for this factor choosing a crucial thing to do a start-up. If I met the requirements, I would like to find a way to account for funding requirements. In big cities or agglomerations like Trójmiasto, there is more method to find financial support. A good example is a business incubator, which is less available in smaller towns. People here could just rely on help from the European Union. The perfect possibility is to find a business angel who could afford the needs of the plan.

246 words

by ANNA WAJS -
Well I have never really considered starting up my own business. Maybe a few times more as an joke than anything else. Making fun of how simple and easy it would be to earn big bucks with me as a CEO. Of course this is not counting last week’s forum assignment where I adamantly refused to be entrepreneur based on the personality characteristics requirements for ‘good entrepreneurs’ posted there. But if I were to disregard those ‘requirements’ and previous assignment, instead focusing on today’s TED video I guess I could get on-board with making an start-up. Provided that my timing is right, good ‘idea’ of an business is there and I have good team-members supporting me, not to mention money and plan, I might consider changing my mind. Although all things considered, I do not agree with TED speaker, because if you are not motivated and hard working enough, no matter the timing, you will not succeed. Number 1 should be motivation and effort, because even if all five of factors are there, if you do not even deign to show up to work or do your job then you will never succeed. For example even if somebody shown up and given me those 5 essentials for successful business on a platter but I disregarded it because of ‘mental barriers’ or ‘cultural preconceptions’ or simply because I was too busy doing nothing, then my start-up would not work either way. In essence MOTIVATION is crucial. Young entrepreneurs who are willing and motivated can seek help with companies like Idealab or if the start-up is already running Endeavor’s a choice. Aires for Ashoka is example of organization that supports social entrepreneurs in Buenos Aires, but there are plenty of options to choose from locally for someone who is motivated and has time to look for help.

305 words

by Martyna Raczkowska -
I have never seriously considered starting my own business, because so far my main focus has been gaining knowledge and my main goal is to complete my studies. Unfortunately, I have not yet acquired the necessary experience in the industry to start any venture. I also think there will be time for that in the future. I am also aware of the huge responsibility of running my own business and it often results in many austerities. I am not sure if I would be ready for such a sacrifice at this stage in my life. Perhaps if I start working in the profession after completing my education my point of view will change.
Young entrepreneurs should first look around in their envirnonment. It is possible that a parent or an experienced friend may be able to help and advise. Acquaintances are extremely important when starting a business. To get financial support you should find an investor, who would be interested in your idea.
I totally agree with TED speaker. I believe that it is crucial to be able to see the current demand for a product or service. This is one of the reasons why nowadays it is becoming more and more popular to conduct marketing research, from which you can find out what is currently selling best. Even if your idea is worth millions but the prevailing trends are not conducive to it, it may fail at the very beginning.

241 words

In reply to Martyna Raczkowska

Re: Odp: Start-ups

by Marta Kuklińska -
Actually, I’ve never had an idea to start up my own business, due to the fact that I have never had any brilliant idea, which in my opinion could really achieve success. Another reason is that the competition in this sector is really fierce and without a strong sense that your idea will be accepted by customers and funders, it’s a waste of time to try in my opinion. Fortunately, the lack of ideas nowadays seems to be the biggest hurdle for a start-up. There are a lot of companies, whose main focus is to support the fresh ideas of young entrepreneurs. Also, the idea of business angels is becoming more and more popular. It’s not only the source of money but also the professional support in creating a business plan and legal stuff.

(Edytowany przez Dorota Horowska - pierwotnie wysłano wtorek, 10.11.2020, 16:44 )

144 words

In reply to Martyna Raczkowska

by Dominika Paszko -
All my life I thought that I would not start my own company. I was afraid of the risks involved. I was afraid that I would invest a lot of money and that the company would not generate profits, but only losses. Now my way of thinking has changed a little. I am still concerned about the risks involved in starting a business, but I noticed that you can earn a lot of money this way. I am not at the planning stage yet, but I admit that one day I will start my own business. When opening my own business, I would look for financial assistance in EU programs. There is a lot of funding for new ideas. I certainly agree with the TED speaker that timing is a crucial factor for a start-up success. I am sure that a good idea and a perfect timing are the key to creating a successful company.

155 words

In reply to Dominika Paszko

by Justyna Kaczorowska -
Running own business is very demanding. Personally, I have never considered the idea of starting my own business. At the moment I have other plans and dreams for my future, that would prevent me starting a business. Own business requires a lot of time and responsibility. This is something, what I can’t do right now. However, I do not completely reject this idea. It is possible that my plans will change in the future.
Currently, young entrepreneurs have several support options. One of them, and in my opinion the most popular are European funds, but there are other support programs in various areas. There are loans and credits with special conditions for young entrepreneurs. Also it is possible to apply for a grant. You can also try to cooperate with a larger and more experienced entrepreneur. A business incubator is an institution whose goal is to support the development of business and young companies. In summary, there are many different forms of support.
I believe that timing is important to a startup's success, but I would point to the intuition as the most important factor. The priority for the trader is to have an instinct and to listen to the inner voice.

202 words

by Bartosz Paliński -
Frankly speaking, when I was younger I thought that I will never run my own business. I always thought that I need much money and a brilliant idea to start up my own business. I was scared that I’m not creative enough and my account is not big enough. Everything changed when I started my studies. As I’m getting closer to graduate from university, I start to realize that I have more and more knowledge to do this. I think the biggest step I took in this direction was to start studying Engineering Management at my faculty of Management and Economy.
To be honest, I have no idea what way my life is going to go and what will I do in the future. One thing I’m sure is that I want to live on my own terms. It would be amazing if I could have my own company in the future. But before that, I should gain some experience with working for other companies.
I am currently working as a mobile advisor in a car rental company. I find this job enjoyable because I’ve got contact with clients. I’ve learned many useful things in this job that I can use in the future to start my own business. Of course as a young entrepreneur I will need way more help to do this. One of the places where I can get helping hand are business incubators and family that runs their own businesses. There are also business angels who support financially start-ups and give practical advice and guidance.
I definitely agree with Bill Gross who was a TED speaker that timing is a crucial factor for start-ups success. One of the biggest company in the world – Amazon, was founded by a people that didn’t have a lot of money or business model. The timing to start their business was perfect and that is the key for success.

318 words

In reply to Bartosz Paliński

by Klaudia Ryś -
I have considered starting up my own business, as I appreciate having freedom and independence in my actions. However, it has changed during past few years. Currently I am not thinking about it at all. I am inclining more towards getting a job in some company and climbing the career ladder. It may have change again, but only when I gain experience and broaden my knowledge. I feel like I am not qualified enough to start up my own business right now, especially having no specific idea for it.

Young entrepreneurs with an idea for a start-up can go to technology parks and business incubators to have a place to run the firm at the beggining. They can also turn to business angels for guidance and even financial support. The other solution could be the government, as it often offers help to young and small enterprises.

I think that the "big three" - the timing, the team and the idea, are all equally crucial for the start-up to succeed. When a company has only two out of three, the probability of achieving success drops significantly. For example, having excellent timing and a brilliant idea, but with poor execution, will very likely fail. The same goes for a great idea with perfect execution, but with awful timing. It is very unfortunate, as it leads to wasting lots of potential that some start-ups have.

231 words

by Adam Śliwiński -
I have been considering starting my own business but it was one year ago. I talked with my friends and we talked about possibilities for us to cooperate and start a new business by taking into consideration our different studies. Since then nothing has progressed and we are focusing more on finishing studies and finding a job first. I am look forward to talk again with my friends in the future about this topic.
There are many companies that specialize in helping new startups to grow. They are called incubators. If the new company show a good business plan, incubator can provide financial support and business guidance for a couple of years. For example, there is one in Gdański Park Naukowo-Technologiczny where there are lots of free courses where specialists present very important information for start ups and also, they give examples from their life.
I agree with Ted speaker that timing is the most important of all. You can have perfect busines plan and great idea but without knowing right people and having good timing by analyzing the market and economy you could still fail in growing new business. That’s why YouTube is a good example. They didn’t have good business plan but their timing to launch website was perfect and after that they decided to develop other sectors of their successful company.

224 words

In reply to Adam Śliwiński

by Filip Struczyński -
I always wanted to start my own company. My motto is: ,,be Captain on Your own ship". Of course, I will wait till the graduation to secure the diploma. Currently, I work on some projects with my friends, such as people transfers and small trading.
We all know, that indispensable fundament of every business is a foundation. What I learned from my experience is that the best attitude is to stay on as many pillars as possible. To diversify the foundation sources of the project to decrease the risk of failing. For me, the best and most available resources are subsidies from government and EU. Having the higher education and ability to write proper application provides high ods to receive money support. However, I also have my own savings to secure my living in case of project failure.

138 words